Thursday, July 1, 2010

One Reason to Have Less KP

During the World Cup, I was asked several times who I would root for if Korea and the United States ever ended up playing each other. It's a question I've mulled over many times in the past and my answer was almost always Korea. I wasn't ever totally sure why, but I think I was influenced (or brainwashed) largely by family and friends who have an inordinate amount of Korean pride.

However, as this year's Cup went on, I realized something: in spite of the best efforts of the most prideful of Koreans I know, it turns out that I actually have very little KP. The reality is that I take much more pride in America than Korea, so much so that if Korea and the US played, I'd openly root for America. I know this will probably get me banned from the motherland, but it's the truth. Plus, if you want to talk strictly soccer teams, I can name almost everyone on the US squad: Donovan, Bradley, Altidore, Howard, Dempsey, Onyewu, etc. The Korea team? Well, there's Park Ji-Sung who plays for ManU. And then there's... uh... Kim something... yeah... anyway, you get the point.

Still, I love the Korean part of who I am. It's not something I'd change and, at times, I wish that I was able to embrace it more.

And then I saw something today that made me fairly ashamed to be even slightly Korean. Take a look at this:


In case you haven't put it together yet, that is former reality dad turned professional douche Jon Gosselin's new tattoo: a Korean dragon. To be sure, Gosselin is part Korean, but man... I really wish he wasn't. It's a sad day for all Koreans everywhere to have to be linked to this fool. But let's take away the fact that it's a Korean tattoo for a second. That's just a dumbass tattoo period. Come on, man. You're what, 40 freaking years old? When you got those diamond studs in your ears, that was bad enough. If you're going to have a midlife crisis, go buy a sports car. Or go buy a yacht. Or go hit on some young girl! (...sorry, Jon. Bad example).

Anyway, it's moments like these that make me glad to identify a little bit more with the American in me. Of course, that tends to have its own problems from time to time...

1 comment:

  1. hahaha you're officially banned. :)
    haha JK!
    neway, haha i can totally tell you're an English major. i like your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete