Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Quack, Quack

As a graduate of the fine educational institution that is UC Davis, I will be the first to admit that there was one thing that was seriously lacking from my college experience: football. Your first reaction is probably this, "Aw, that's too bad that you guys didn't have a football team." To which I would tell you, "False! We DO have one!" To which you would probably reply with, "Uh, what? Stop lying. UC Davis plays football?"

But the truth is that yes, the Aggies have been playing on the gridiron for many, many years. In fact, we are only one of three UCs with a football team (Cal and UCLA being the others). However, we play in Division I-AA. For those that don't know, I-AA is kind of like the minor leagues of college football. So when the football schedule is packed with such powerhouses as the University of Montana, you can understand why I have more interest in "real" college football.

Anyway, since I grew up in the Bay Area, I'm sort of an adoptive Cal fan. But I have a confession: I might have a new favorite college football team, and it won't make people in Berkeley happy. I have to admit that I love the Oregon Ducks. I re-watched last week's Oregon-UCLA game and I'm not sure there's a more entertaining team to watch than the boys from Eugene. That fast-paced, spread option offense is ridiculous, they have great fans, and they have the most fun uniforms in all of college football. (If you are interested, there's actually a site that keeps track of all of Oregon's uniform combinations throughout the season.)

Anyway, the Ducks play at USC this weekend. No one with a soul likes USC, so if you need one more reason to hate the Trojans, there's this: after watching Cain Velasquez dominate Brock Lesnar in the UFC title fight this past weekend, USC QB Matt Barkley tweeted, "Wow, Brock just got rocked! Lesnar is to Oregon as Velasquez is to SC. Lezgo."

Yup, he's a douche. Let's go Ducks.

Quack, quack.

No comments:

Post a Comment