Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog. Since it's the first entry, some people might think it would be an appropriate time to introduce myself. But that would be pretty boring because I'm pretty boring. And, quite frankly, this blog isn't really supposed to be about my life. This is really just a place for my random rants about pretty much everything. I won't lie -- there's going to be a fair amount of sports because it's what I know best. But there will also be lots of room for other topics, including politics (when I know what I'm talking about),world events (which I try to keep up with so I can act like I know what I'm talking about), and pop culture (which I probably know far too much about).

Also, you may be wondering about the title of the blog. Here's the answer: according to Wikipedia, a Sunday Punch is a boxing term for "a destructive blow to an opponent." Basically, it's a fancy way to describe a knockout punch. I thought it was a pretty cool phrase and I'm all about trying to appear cool. As a side note, when I Googled "Sunday Punch" one of the search results was a Filipino newspaper. How they came up with that name for a periodical, I have no idea. But for those of you who were trying to get caught up with your Filipino current events, I'm sorry to say that you've come to the wrong place.

Anyway, I was trying to come up with a good entry to start this blog off right. And then I thought back to something that happened to me a couple weeks ago and it should pretty much set the tone for what's to come in the future.

It was a Thursday night and I had just gone to the Giants-A's exhibition game at AT&T Park with my friend Wiley. After the game, I stopped at his new place to check it out and just chill for a while. Around midnight, I realized it was getting pretty late so I decided to head back home. I got into my car, pulled out of the parking lot, and stopped at the red light. As I was waiting for the light to change, I saw a woman on the sidewalk waiting as well. She started mouthing something to me which I couldn't understand, so I rolled down the window and asked what was up. She asked if I could give her a ride because she was low on money and it was so cold outside.

Now, before I continue the story, it's important to note that Wiley lives at the Berkeley-Oakland border near San Pablo Ave. The area certainly isn't the most affluent, but it's not the worst place I've ever been in my life either. Also, the woman wasn't threatening or shady looking by any means. She was a white woman, probably mid to late 30s, average height and build. Plus, it was really cold outside. I had just spent three hours at the ballpark so I knew it was freezing.

Okay, so even with all that taken into account, I should have just said "no" and been on my way. Who knew if the woman was packing heat or something, right? But against my better judgement and because I felt sorry for her being trapped outside in the cold, I reluctantly agreed to give her a ride. Yes, I am a moron. (By the way, I know some people might think I gave her a ride because she might have been hot. Trust me, she wasn't. Let's just get that straight right now.)

So she gets in and directs me which way to go. The following is the exact conversation between me and her:

Woman: Thanks so much for the ride. It's so cold outside, I really appreciate it.
Me: Yeah, no problem. Don't worry.
Woman: So do you want some head or anything?
Me: .............................. Um, no I'm okay, thanks.
Woman: Are you sure?
Me: ...........................Uh, yeah. I'm really sure.

Now some of you have probably figured out the situation at this point, but it still hadn't dawned on me. I figured that because she had no money to repay me for the ride, this was her way of trying to thank me. Again, I am a moron. Let's continue...

Woman: [Kind of disappointed] Okay, well can you drop me off at the gas station up the block there?
I look over at her and can see from her face that she's definitely high on something.
Me: Uh, yeah. Sure.
As I pull the car over, it's all starting to click in my head...
Woman: Do you think you could at least give me a dollar to buy a condom? I might need it later tonight.
It finally all falls into place for me...
Me: [thinking: HOLY FREAKING SON OF A MOTHER. SHE'S A HOOKER. THERE'S A HOOKER IN MY CAR.] Uh....yeah, sure...
I hand her a dollar and realize how terrible this looks.
Hooker: Thanks. I'm just hoping someone can take me in tonight...get a hotel room or take me home....
Me: [thinking: WTFWTFWTFWTF] Mmhmm... Yeah...I see....
After about a 15 second pause where neither of us says anything (and she's waiting for me to reconsider her offer and I'm waiting for her to leave) she finally opens the door to get out.
Hooker: Well, thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Me: ...Yeah...no problem...

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, in my attempts to be a Good Samaritan, I inadvertantly picked up a hooker. As soon as she closed the door, I pulled out of there and drove the hell off. My initial feeling was relief to have the hooker out of my car. But as I made the U-turn to drive back home, I saw her walking over to a building doorway and sit down on the front steps, presumably to sleep for the night. I felt bad so I drove back to her and gave her the last of my cash to help her out (WITHOUT her services in return). Look, I don't condone prostitution, but seeing it first hand made me realize how sad and desperate the situation is for some people out there. So many people have so little hope that they need any help they can get.

Plus, it's one hell of a story.

Anyway, kids, the lesson here is never pick up strange women. I know some of you may have thought about it, but learn from me, it's never a good idea. And just in case some of you may have doubted if this woman was actually a hooker, here's the conversation that occurred when I drove back to give her some cash.

Me: Hey! Take this. It's not much, but it's all that I have.
Hooker: You're not a cop, are you?

Clearly the bar has been set high for this blog.

1 comment: