Friday, April 17, 2009

NBA Playoff Preview


I started working on this post the other night; nothing too indepth or really thoughtful, just organizing some of my thoughts and writing a few solid paragraphs. Then I got to work yesterday and the first thing I did was go to ESPN.com (because doing work first thing when you get to work is ridiculous). It was there that I discovered the news that Kevin Garnett might be out for the entire playoffs. The first thought that came into my head was that I was going to have to start this thing all over. Damn.

Anyway, the NBA regular season has finally come to a close and it's time for the playoffs. And once again, I have very little interest in what happens since the Warriors barely missed the postseason this year with their stellar 29-53 record.

Let's just talk about the Warriors for one second. This season sucked. When Baron left and we panicked and signed Corey Maggette, I knew the season was over. Then when Monta got hurt riding his freaking scooter, I knew the season was REALLY over. So what do we need to do for next year? My friend Steve and I came up with three basic things: First, stay healthy. The Warriors were incapable of doing so this year. Second, aside from Monta, Andris Biedrins, Captain Jack, Anthony Randolph, and Kelenna Azubuike, the Warriors have our blessing to trade anyone else for decent talent. Third, get a true point guard so that Monta can play the two, and pray that we win the lottery so we get Blake Griffin.

Also, Steve suggested trading Marco Belinelli for some basketballs.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's one more thing that the Warriors need to do: bring back "The City" jerseys. Those are the best throwback jerseys in the NBA; I can't believe we don't wear them anymore. Let's be real here -- we have probably among the bottom-five worst regular jerseys in the league. I hate our logo, I hate our colors, and I really hate the orange alternate jersey we wear. Warriors management, if you're listening, you have to bring back The City.


Got it? Good. See you next season.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's take a look at this year's playoff picture. First, the Eastern Conference. Before KG's injury, everyone assumed that it was going to be Boston or Cleveland in the Finals. And now after KG's injury, I know a lot of people are quick to write off the Celtics. But I don't think we should quite yet. This is still a pretty good team. Paul Pierce has no problem taking the rock in his hands and can absolutely take control of a game, and Rajon Rondo has quietly become one of the better point guards in the NBA. Trust me, I had both these guys on my fantasy team. The problem with Pierce is that he can't keep up his strong performances night in and night out; he's going to have off nights and that's a problem without KG to pick up the slack. Rondo's problem is that while his assist and steal numbers are generally good, his shooting is still very streaky. Trust me, I had both these guys on my fantasy team. The x-factor will be Ray Allen and if he can shoot the lights out. If he can, the Celtics are still dangerous. If not, well...

But all that being said, I still think the Cavs are going to the Finals, with or without KG on the Celtics roster. It's just a matter of how many games it's going to take.

Now let's look at the Western Conference. The Lakers are going to the Finals. The end. No really, there's no one else. But what in the hell happened to the Western Conference? Remember last year when this conference was ridiculously deep and strong? Exhibit A: the Warriors won 48 freaking games in 2008, finished in ninth place, and missed the playoffs. Everyone expected more of the same this year out of the West, but instead only the Lakers showed that they were a real threat to be champions. Everyone else came out flat. Exhibit B: the Warriors won only 29 games this year and still finished in TENTH PLACE. That means that there were essentially only nine teams in the hunt for eight playoff positions all season. It also means that there were still five teams that sucked worse than the Warriors. I can't decide if that should make me feel better about their season or not.

But that's neither here nor there. If I had to pick a team or two that could possibly knock the Lakers out before the Finals, I'd choose the Spurs and Blazers. I say San Antonio only because they've won it so many times that you really can't count them out, although a banged up Duncan and no Manu really hurts their chances. And I say Portland because even though they're young, they're good. And that guy Brandon Roy? He's REALLY good. Still, it's probably going to be the Lakers out of the West.

By the way, just for the record, I really hate the Lakers. I can't stand Kobe. But you know who I hate most on the Lakers? Luke Walton. This guy acts like he's the second best player on the team, going around high-fiving and chest bumping his teammates, acting like he knows what it feels like to have just made a huge play. Just watch it during the playoffs; you'll see what I'm talking about. This was his stat line this season: 5.0 points per game, 2.8 rebounds per game, and 2.7 assists per game. We know you're really happy that Kobe could potentially carry you to a championship, Luke, but everyone knows you suck. So stop it.

Anyway, that leaves an NBA Finals of the Cavs and Lakers. Looking at this matchup, I think that home court advantage (which goes to the Cavs) will play a huge role in this series. I don't say this just because the Cavs lost only twice at home all season (although that does help). I say it largely because the 2-3-2 setup of the series favors the Cavs. If you don't know what that means, the series starts with two games in Cleveland, then three in a row in LA, then the last two in Cleveland. You have to think that the Cavs will win at least one of those games at Staples, because winning three in a row no matter what the location is going to be really tough. That means in order for the Lakers to win the Finals, they'll have to win at least two games in Cleveland. That's a pretty tall order. That's not to say they can't do it, but in Cleveland the crowd is obviously against them, LeBron is going to feed off of that, and he's going to get a lot more calls in his favor.

Also, in my opinion, LeBron James is on a mission this year. He's been to the Finals before and fallen short. But he's got a better supporting cast now (namely Mo Williams) and he's even better now than he was two years ago. And with all the talk this year about him going to New York in 2010, I think he's determined to show everyone that he's still focused on basketball and on winning championships...before he goes to New York in 2010 and tries to take over the world.


Cavs in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment