Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fun With The Internet


No need for an in-depth explanation here; these are just a bunch of random links to things that I find amusing/funny/cool or some combination of the three. I'd also like to give special thanks to Steve Choi for sending me YouTube links all day while at work. Several of these are courtesy of him. Thanks, Stevie. On to the fun...

1. I heard this song a couple of times recently while I was driving in the car and it brought back memories of middle school: "No, No, No Part 2" by Destiny's Child and Wyclef. This was DC's first single and launched their careers. Actually, check that. It launched Beyonce's career and slowly buried everyone else's.

2. Okay, I know Roger Federer lost the U.S. Open Final, but he still had the shot of the tournament with this between-the-legs winner. Also, I've decided that one of the sporting events that I want to attend sometime in my life is the U.S. Open. Tennis matches are normally polite-applause affairs, but the U.S. Open is sort of the "eff you" to tennis etiquette. It's in New York, the fans go crazy, it pumps the players up, and they're not afraid to show their emotions without reservation. Of course, sometimes they might take it a bit far, but that just gets everyone even more riled up.

3. Everyone knows Kanye was on Leno the other night to apologize for Taylor Swift-gate. But he also performed "Run This Town" with Jay-Z and Rihanna at the end of the show. A well done performance of probably one of the better songs of the year.

It was also nice to see hip-hop artists able to perform their song well, as opposed to Drake, Lil Wayne, and the Young Money Crew at the BET Awards earlier this year. It actually starts out not too bad with Drake performing "Best I Ever Had." He had to sit while performing because he tore his ACL like the week before, but it was kind of like watching a poetry reading or something. But after "Best I Ever Had" ends and the other rappers come out, the performance slowly gets worse and worse until you realize someone needs to just mercy kill the whole thing. Seriously, this has got to be among the bottom-five worst live hip-hop performances ever. Not just because everyone starts screaming hysterically into their mics rather than actually just rapping the lyrics, but because when they performed "Every Girl" there's a bunch of THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRLS DANCING LIKE HOOCHIES ON THE STAGE as the rappers scream "I wish I could f* every girl in the world!!" Even the BET audience (which is usually very easily entertained) started out feeling the performance, but slowly got less and less into it as it wore on. And wasn't it nice how about 50 percent of the performance had to be blanked out because the rappers couldn't stop cussing on TV? Well done, gentlemen.

Also, I've read on some sites that one of the girls was actually Lil' Wayne's 13 year old daughter and the other girls were her friends. Nice, Weezy. You want to know why the BET Awards are an easy target of mockery year in and year out? This is Exhibit A.

One more thing. Can we all agree that Lil' Wayne is one of the most overrated rappers ever? His lyrics are mediocre at best and, as this performance proves, he sucks even harder without the aid of auto-tune. Come on, everyone. Open your eyes. Lil' Wayne is trash.

4. Sorry, I'm all worked up now. But nothing calms me down like a nice Jamba Juice. (Thanks to Jennie Chang for this one.)

5. A dream of all baseball fans is to catch a flyball. This man's dream came true... and was then shattered by his little daughter. Nonetheless, he's a loving dad and quick to give his girl a hug. But it just goes to prove one thing: girls can get away with anything...

6. And we come to the final link. Now, I'm a Blackberry owner and proud of it. I love mine and I encourage others to buy one if they're in the market for a smart phone. Of course, the big rival to Blackberry is the iPhone. I have nothing against the iPhone, I just prefer my Blackberry. But if there was ever a reason to get an iPhone, it's because of this app. If you were to buy an iPhone over a Blackberry only because you wanted this app, I would completely understand and have nothing but respect for you.


AND DON'T FORGET: SEASON SIX OF THE OFFICE PREMIERES TONIGHT!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment