Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Official Jonathan Sanchez No-Hitter Running Diary

As promised, I'm delivering a retro-running diary of Jonathan Sanchez's no-hitter last Friday, arguably the best sporting event I've ever attended. As a reminder, I write for a publication that covers the Giants and thus graces me with a media credential for all their home games. I say this to explain why I'm in the press box, on the field, etc. Anyway, come with me as we re-visit the no-no...

Pregame
I arrive about an hour or so before game time and pull into the assigned media parking lot. Apparently there's a carnival that's set up shop in one of the other lots, though, and that means I have to park back at Pier 30/32. Upon being told this, I give the parking attendant some attitude because it just took me about 20-plus minutes to drive down the freaking Embarcadero, and now I have to back track about five or six blocks. I think to myself that this can't be a good omen for the night to come.

I finally make it back to the park and as I'm walking down the hallway, I pass Jon Miller (the radio play-by-play announcer for the Giants). He looks more roley poley in person than he does on TV; and he's also wearing a cardigan sweater with shorts and flip-flops -- it screams old white man. I guess that's one of the advantages of doing radio -- you can wear whatever the hell you want. I say hi to him and wish him a good call for the game tonight.

I walk out onto the field as the Padres are finishing up batting practice. I don't really have any reason to be out there; no Giants are on the field, and I don't need to do any interviews or anything like that. Honestly, I just walk around because I can. I don't say that to sound like a jerk; I just figure that I should take advantage of opportunities like that.

Anyway, your starting pitcher for the Giants tonight is Jonathan Sanchez. As we all recall, Jonny had some trouble earlier this year with his command and was forced out of the rotation a few weeks ago. But with Randy Johnson injured, Sanchez will be getting another shot this evening. He'll be taking on the San Diego Padres, who have managed the impossible: they actually have a worse offense than the Giants.

Dinner Time
I decide to eat the media dinner that is available (for a fee of course... it would be preposterous for a professional baseball team that makes millions of dollars a year to actually give something away for free). On the menu tonight: fried chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, fish, sandwiches, cookies, and probably other stuff that I'm forgetting. Yeah, they don't serve the garlic fries and hot dogs here, which I think is a travesty. Anyway, I decide right then that I'm going to make the Giants sorry for having dinner buffet style. I eat a plate full of food and, before heading back to the press box, make myself a huge sandwich and take two cookies for the road. Yes... things are looking up.

First Inning
Sanchez comes out dealing. He strikes out two of the first three batters he faces. Steven Choi is at the game tonight and I'll eventually make my way out to where he's sitting and watch the game with him. But after seeing Sanchez look strong in the first inning, I'm reminded of a conversation I had with him that went something like this:

Me: Who's pitching tonight? Sanchez?
Steve: Maloooo...

Considering how poorly he had been pitching so far this season, Steve's assessment was pretty right on. But so far, Jonathan looks good and in control. But we've got a long way to go.

Second Inning
The Giants score four runs. This is sort of how the Giants offense has gone this season: all or nothing. It can be a lot of fun to watch when it's going well... but it also makes me want to punch someone in the face when it's going poorly.

Giants 4, Padres 0

Fifth Inning
Pablo Sandoval crushes a home run on the first pitch he sees over the right-center field wall. And I mean he CRUSHES it. That was Barry Bonds kind of stuff on that swing; the kind of bomb that makes you start high-fiving the strangers around you. The only problem? I'm sitting in the press box and everyone there is remaining "professional" and not showing any emotion. You'd think I was at a funeral with all the blank expressions staring out onto the field.

Giants 7, Padres 0

Sixth Inning
After being around those Debbie Downers, I decide it's time to get out of there and sit with people who can actually express their feelings and make the walk up to where Steve's sitting. Before I do, though, I notice that Sanchez still hasn't given up a hit through six. For whatever reason, it's felt like he's been doing a lot worse. But when I think about, yeah... I guess he HAS been doing pretty well. Sanchez induced a lot of flyball and groundball outs between the second and fifth innings, and only lately has started striking guys out again. A lot of people say that the strikeout is one of the more overrated stats in baseball, but one thing it absolutely does do is give the impression of dominance. At that point in the game, even after I had watched nearly every single pitch, you could have told me that Sanchez had given up five hits and walked three guys, and I would have believed you. Again, the strikeout may not be an indication of dominance, but it IMPLIES dominance.

Seventh Inning
For those of you that don't know, one of the rules of a no-hitter is that you don't talk about it while it's going on because that jinxes it. I walk to Steve's section and, as I sit down, the first thing he says to me is: "Sanchez has a no-hitter going!!"

I do my best to try and not say anything about the no-hitter, but it gets increasingly difficult the more it looks like it's actually going to happen. By the middle of the eighth inning, I'm calling people telling them to turn the game on and watch.

Also, it's worth noting that the Giants get a mini-rally going in the bottom of the eighth which actually worries me because it means Sanchez is getting cold in the dugout. As grateful as I should be that the Giants are doing something good on offense, I'm actually hoping the Giants stop scoring runs. They push across one more and it's time for the final inning...

Giants 8, Padres 0

Ninth Inning
The most nerve-wracking ninth inning I've ever witnessed in my life. I freak out every single time a batter swings, and freak out even more if he makes contact with the ball.

After getting the first batter to ground out to short, Edgar Gonzalez smashes one to center field. The entire park holds its breath... and let's out a collective sigh when Aaron Rowand leaps up and comes down with the ball in his glove. Seriously, I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

The last batter is Everth Cabrera and Sanchez eventually works the count to 2-2. He winds, throws a curveball, Cabrera watches it go by, the ump throws his hand up, and the no-hitter has become reality. The crowd goes wild and the players mob Sanchez on the field. A phenomenal game.

Sanchez's final line: 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 Ks; 110 Pitches - 77 Strikes

Postgame Analysis
I wrote this in my last entry but for a while, I had come to peace with the belief that I would never see a no-hitter live in my life. There might be no event in all of sports that's as rare and unpredictable as a no-hitter. You can't plan on it, you can't buy tickets in advance for one. It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and fortunately I was on this night.

When I think about it, I really can't remember the last time I was this excited at a ball game. It's been six years since the Giants were last in the playoffs, and that's the only thing I can even compare the level of excitement to. (As a side note, the Giants are playing out of their minds this year. If you had told me before the season that they would be 10 games over .500 with the second best record in the National League, I would have thought you were the most untrustworthy person in the world, with Bernie Madoff being a close second).

I've been sitting here for a while now trying to write what it was all like. Honestly, though, I'm really out of words to express what it meant to be there. I'll just say congratulations to Jonathan Sanchez. Thanks for the memories. You did good, kid. And you also increased your potential trade value. So thanks for that as well.

P.S. I recorded the final out and posted it on YouTube. Relive that moment with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment