Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ramblings


People have pointed out to me that I've been slacking on writing new blog entries and for that I apologize. There are two factors that have caused this. First, I've sort of been at a loss for things to write about. I normally like to talk about some current issue or topic, but it's been kind of boring on that front lately. So I think I'm just going to go the emo teenager route here and blame the world for that problem. Second, as much as I've tried to resist it, I've had a lot more work lately which, in turn, can kill my motivation to put in the effort for an entry. But never fear, my friends. In an act of defiance and protest against the man, I'm actually writing this while I sit at work right now. Fight the power.

Anyway, this is a relatively short entry that doesn't have any specific point or topic, but I'm going to just share a few thoughts with you, the loyal reader. Onwards...

-I had actually wanted to do a running diary of the French Open men's final so I could talk about Roger Federer completing the career grand slam and tying Pete Sampras' mark of 14 majors. But since it's the French Open and it's in France, the match was on at 6 a.m. Pacific time and I wasn't able to force myself out of bed and to the TV until 7:30 a.m. Just another reason to hate the French. Anyway, congrats to Roger.

-Monday was Kanye West's birthday, so happy (belated) birthday, Mr. West. To celebrate, I'm going to offer a tribute in the form of my favorite moments in the career of the Louis Vuitton Don.
My favorite Kanye song: Touch the Sky. Love the sample, love the beat, love the lyrics. Also, the first song that really introduced Lupe Fiasco.
My favorite Kanye video: All Falls Down. I'm not really sure what exactly makes this my favorite video, but I do know this: Stacy Dash is fine. (Good Morning gets an honorable mention here.)
My favorite Kanye meltdown: Kanye at LAX. Notice his custom made Louis Vuitton backpack. If you're going to go down, you may as well look good doing it.
My favorite Kanye political statement: George Bush doesn't care about black people. As if there could be another choice. I think that the look on Mike Myers' face after Kanye says it is the best part of the video. And then Chris Tucker tries to act like he didn't hear what Kanye said and does his best to play it cool. By the way, does anyone else realize that Chris Tucker hasn't done any movies except Rush Hour movies for the past eight or nine years? I'm not advocating for more Chris Tucker movies, but I think that it's kind of weird.

(Okay, I just looked it up on Wikipedia and Tucker's getting paid $20 million a movie. Yeah, if I could get away with only having to make the same movie three times in a row and get $20 million each time, I'd absolutely do it too.)

Also, since we're talking about Kanye West, I need to say one thing: if you own a pair of those shutter shade sunglasses that he made so popular from the Graduation album, you need to stop wearing them immediately. They're not cool or in anymore. Actually, I'm going to go ahead and say that, unless you were in the "Stronger" music video, it was never actually that cool to be wearing them. And now? You just look like an idiot wearing them. That album came out almost two years ago. It's time to move on.

-Conan O'Brien made his debut as the host of The Tonight Show last week and all I can say is that it's good to have him back on the air. Here are my late night talk show host power rankings based on how funny the show and host are:
1. Conan O'Brien
2. David Letterman
3. Jimmy Kimmel
4. Jay Leno
5. Craig Ferguson
9483761. Jimmy Fallon

I have yet to meet a person who thinks Fallon is funny. The dude is a freaking tool. It offends me that The Roots are his house band and, quite honestly, it makes me lose some respect for The Roots.

-I think I'm officially bored by the NBA Finals. You want to know what I found most interesting about Game 2? This was the text message exchange between me and my brother in the fourth quarter:

My Brother: Adam Morrison is going crazy on the bench
Me: I know. What a scrub.
My Brother: Why is he wearing the same clothes every game?
Me: I know, right? I was thinking the same thing.
Me: But you have to love JJ Redick. Pass him the rock more.

Basically, I'm finding Adam Morrison and JJ Redick being in the NBA Finals more interesting than anything else in this series. (Also, I'm not ashamed to admit that I went crazy when Redick hit that three. It brought back fond memories of when he was at Duke and still a good player). When does football season start?

-Wait, wait, wait.... are you telling me that Cap'n Crunch isn't a real captain either?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment